Sunday 17 April 2011

The need to tell

Hugh Mackay, Australian psychologist and social researcher recently published a book, "What makes us tick?" outlining what he believes are our top 10 desires that drive the way we act (often irrationally). His list includes the need to be taken seriously, the need for my place, the need to connect, the need to love (and be loved), the need to be useful and the need for something to happen . I believe that as an expression of some of these desires is the need to tell a story.

Anyone who's struck up a conversation with me will know of my insatiable need to tell you my latest story. Whether it be the details of a recent paddling session, newly discovered breakfast cafe, interesting podcast or disaster/success in the kitchen you've probably been subject to the details - whether you've encouraged it or not!

But now you can choose whether to follow my everyday happenings! 

Welcome to the Stories of Shell.

(You can watch Hugh Mackay's address to the Sydney Institutue about his book here through ABC's Big Ideas)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle. Great to see you telling your story.

    One of Jenny's Friends from the NBCF told me recently that it is important to tell our stories and I think she is right, even if it is difficult or it hurts sometimes.

    If you are shy or modest, at times you may find it easier to not say anything. So I encourage you to push yourself, just like you have done in your paddling and all aspects of your life, and to give it a go - you wont regret it.

    So I say .. Don't be shy and don't be modest. Tell us as it is. It will be a great gift to yourself, your Family and Friends, and all those that read your posts, of which may there be many.

    Good Luck and Best Wishes .. Geoff

    ReplyDelete