Sunday 19 February 2012

Day 5: Downwind finale - Hawaii Kai run

25 kt winds. Yeah!
Trailer of OC1's. Yeah!
Pick up truck loaded with paddlers to drive to the start. Yeah!
One of the best downwind runs on Oahu, the Hawaii Kai, YEAH!
Yay for paddling fun!!

The grand finale of the camp was a downwing run from from Kahala, around Diamond Head, to Outrigger Canoe Club on the South side of the island, locally called the "Hawaii Kai" run. With 25kt ENE winds, it was perfect for this stretch of the coastline. Jim and Jimmy had miraculously figured out the logistics overnight so that we had a enough single-type craft for everyone - the usual OC1's and 2 OC2's, plus a prototype V3.

Look at those palm trees blow! (Rigging the canoes at Kahala)

Everyone was a little bit nervous, but excited too as we gathered at the Kahala carpark - we didn't really know what to expect, and Jim and Jimmy did! The thing with a downwind is that there's no turning back once you start, and it's easy for paddlers to separate, especially when there's a variety of experience and confidence. We buddied up, and organised to meet up every 15min to help keep together.

As we unloaded the canoes we had to keep one hand on them at all times to stop them blowing away. I gave a slightly nervous glance towards Linda and Mandy, then we all grinned at got that crazy eye look again. This was going to be fun!

Out on the water the wind was so strong it pushed the swell down, so the water didn't feel as "big" as yesterday, but you could still feel the bumps rolling beneath you. With the wind directly behind you, gee it was fast! It was impossible not to surf. It was like a game, weaving around and picking the next trough to nose into. A few strong strokes, then WHEE! I think if I stuck my paddle in the air, I would have sailed along the coastline with no effort at all.


Diamond Head and Black Point in the background

We were pointed towards Black Point, jutting out just before Diamond Head. No matter which way I pointed the canoe there were runs. We regrouped and a couple of people swapped canoes - Nic and Lisa jumped into the V3 with Jim Foti steering. They were screaming along! I kept Mandy in sight, sometimes to my left, othertimes to my right. She was on Jimmy's lightweight Pueo, with a new trial layup. I kept urging the red Helium forward, left then right, then left, then right. (Sounds like D in one of his yoga classes.) Each time, a nice hole forming before the canoe. This was so much fun!


Nic and Jimmy on the OC2

The hardest part was stopping and regrouping. Before we knew it we were at Black Point, ready for another canoe swap. I had my legs in the water, trying to act as sea anchors and hastily took a couple of photos. Unfortunately, I've learnt that the ocean is something you need to feel, and it's very hard to capture its spirit on camera.


Mandy flying towards Black Point

Turning around Diamond Head the wind and swells somehow got stronger. I thought back to last time I had gone past this headland - on the back of a support boat in May last year, with our canoe on the deck. It was great to be on the water this time. Before I knew it, we were turning right into the OCC. I wanted to keep going! I had at least another hour or more of paddling in me with these conditions!


Turning towards the Outrigger Canoe Club

What a great way to end the trip. The last 5 days have been fantastic. Jim, John and Jimmy were excellent instructors, and flexible to adapt to what the group wanted to experience. For us it was great Hawaiian ocean conditions, and they definitely provided that! Over the last few days, we've learnt the elements of our paddling stroke to work on to improve efficiency, experienced different types of water and routes around Kailua and Lanikai, surfed massive waves in the OC6, practiced ama flying in the OC2, and now completed a popular Hawaiian downwind in some of the best possible wind conditions. I feel incredibly lucky, and am very thankful to be here.



PD chicks with Jim Foti and Jimmy Austin

I would highly recommend coming on one of these courses - there courses designed for different levels of ability, and with different emphasis - fitness, skills, technique, as well as a new camping trip to Kauai. It's a great way to experience excellent paddling in Hawaii without all the hassle of finding canoes, suitable locations and transport, and gives you a chance to learn from some of the best paddlers in the world.

------------

Learning of the day: When catching runs, I sometimes find myself swerving to the left. I think this happens because I get a bit unsettled on the wave, paddle on the left and lean left, which digs in the ama, creates extra drag and causes the canoe to swing left. This usually results in me losing the run, my ama upwind and upswell and ready to flip over, or at the least, sloshing about in the wave. Today I found that when this started to happen, if I put in a few strong hard strokes on the left and concentrated on shifting my weight back to the middle of the canoe, I'd pop up the ama and recorrect on a straight line, keeping the run going. Will have to remember this next time we're at North or South Head!

Linda having a blast

No comments:

Post a Comment